Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Gone Raw

...And no I'm not talking about eating "raw" foods. I talking about my poor baby girl's paws. I guess when I took her to the groomers they got to her nail/feet. I don't know if your groomer does this or not but they basically pummel stone her pads so they are nice and soft and smooth. For the most part I like it when they do that because she thinks she is a lap dog and those rough little paws on my inner thighs tend to hurt. Anyways I digress. Yesterday for Memorial Day we took Whiskey took one of the local parks. Yes it was hot day, and usually that doesn't bother her. I try to get her to walk in the grass but this time she wanted to walk on the pavement. We walked maybe 1/4-1/2 a mile to the racket ball courts. Thank goodness no one else was there and it was an enclosed area, so I let her off the leash and she was chasing after the rouge balls, she was having the time of her life. After that fun we found a little pond and I let her wade in it to cool off, which she enjoyed immensely. After that we decided to trek back towards the car. There were a lot of people there (due to the Memorial Holiday) and BBQs-and of course those lovely smells to a dog that go with it. So walking through all this was harder this time around than the first. She would often sit and not move, because we all know how stubborn corgi butts can be. My boyfriend and I ended up carrying her most of the way if we were going to make it to the car before sun down. She would wiggle while we carried her and so we'd have to put her down, she'd walk a few steps and she would start to drag. Finally we get to the car, load up and head home for the pool. We get home and I let her on the porch when my boyfriend notices she is limping a little. I chock it up to she is just tired, and maybe a little sore from all the running around in the racket ball courts. We ignore her and start swimming and running around the pool. Whiskey is chasing us and having a great time, she also took her OWN first steps into the pool and stood on the first step! The floor around the pool is kind of a concrete with holes in it, and after a while it hurts even my feet. We start wrapping things up and get ready for dinner. Whiskey is limping even worse and she is so tired he eyes are closing on her, but she can not get comfortable on anything. I ask boyfriend to check her paws out cause I just get too grossed out, and worried lord can only imagine what I'll be like with my own kids . He says it looks like he paws have been rubber raw, almost like there were callous and they rubber off. My poor baby. We put neosporian on them and sat with her on the floor so she was on her back. All I keep saying is Mommy's sorry. Mommy's sorry... I don't know what else to do. I feel so bad. Boyfriend had to pick her up and put her in her house last night and this morning I had to carry her into the backyard to go pee. She could barely do that, because her front paw, the worse one, she wouldn't put down on the grass. Finally after 10 minutes she went pee and looked up at me saying Mommy can I go inside now. She is so pathetic, and I don't know what to do. I know in winter they make little snow booties to keep their paws from freezing. Are there any little swimming/walking booties to prevent this from happening again?

2 comments:

  1. They make little rubber disposable booties at Petco. I am wimpy when my dog is hurt too. I hover and worry and my boyfriend checks him out. We had a limping problem with Herman this weekend too. It makes you wonder if Corgis are more sensitive about their feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, Katie, I'm so sorry. We all like to think that the groomer or vet or whoever isn't going to do something that might end up hurting our fur-babies, but sometimes these things happen.

    She'll be okay and it sounds like you and your boyfriend are doing what needs to be done to help her out. I would suggest taking her to the vet to have her paws looked at to makes sure they aren't infected. A good course of antibiotics and maybe an antibiotic ointment might be in order.

    Hang tough, and give Whiskey a good belly rub from me. :)

    ReplyDelete